Monday, September 12, 2011

The Highlight Reel: Round Two

Times flies when you're a roaming Roman!  Two weeks down in the Eternal City and it feels like just yesterday that I de-boarded that United plane in a jet-lagged haze.  Well, that's not entirely true...in some ways, I feel like I have been here forever.  While I am not sleeping on a comfy Tempurpedic mattress pad, our sweet little apartment has become home (I have mastered drying on a clothesline and sufficiently adjusted to no A/C...ever).  I have also eaten more pizza and pasta here than I did last year and I really don't regret a single bite.  Our takeout pizza place up the street is renowned in Roma (and that's saying something with so many fantastic joints) and their suppli (fried risotto and mozzarella balls that are coated in breadcrumbs) put 2Amy's in DC to shame!  Today was our first day of area studies courses and so the reality has finally set in that this isn't just some freak vacation...it's life...at home...in Rome!  Here are some select happenings/observations of this past week.

Nuovi Amici Italiani

Living with Susanna, our lovely ISC, was the best pre-departure decision I made by far.  We are all delighted by her charming personality, but more than that, she has made the immersion process so simple and enjoyable.  Before coming here, I never had to bridge a language gap with a friend.  It was easy, dialogue flowed smoothly, and that was that.  But I never realized how rewarding it could be to gain friends by dutifully committing to bridging a cultural or language gap.  Luckily, Sus is incredibly inviting and we have gotten to meet all of her closest friends in our first few weeks here.  Sure, we've cheated a bit (most of her friends speak a decent bit of English), but we have also been spending lots of time with these full-fledged Italian natives.  I have learned the expression for cheers-ing (yes, I am aware I invented that verb) in Italian, the strong pronunciation of r's, and the word for earrings (orecchini...her friends have adorable ones) among other useful tidbits.  After our night out in Trastevere with the Roman crew, my roommate and I were way too giddy about our six new Italian friends and immediately Facebook friended the whole lot, then wrote on their walls in Italian to invite them out with us again.  Meeting these new people has made me value creating international bonds so much more.  Even after the program, I definitely will aim to not only be more receptive to those of different backgrounds, but to aggressively seize the opportunity to make diverse friends.  These ties can prove to be the most rewarding!

Some of the suitemates with Susanna and friends in Trastevere

Stumble Upon Roma

StumbleUpon.com is one of my absolute favorite websites because you can input any and all of your interests and it shoots you to limitless other obscure websites that will keep you entertained for hours.  It is my go-to for cute quotes, scenic photos, addicting computer games, and fascinating tidbits of information.  I cannot help thinking that living in Monteverde in Roma is a real-life version of Stumble Upon.  Seriously, though.  My friends and I will start off looking for a cheap dinner spot in the city center and end up being thrust into dozens of mini-adventures on the way to our destination.  These little snapshots largely contribute to the awesome bigger picture.  From a captivating little breakdance show by Piazza Venezia to an impromptu visit to the Pantheon on yet another gelato quest,  I have been enjoying "surfing sites" in real time in Italia.  I am definitely ready to put all of these enthralling monuments, restaurants, and events into context through all that we will learn in our area studies courses!

Breakdancers on Via Del Corso

Suitemates in front of the Trevi at night

Just happened upon the Pantheon

View on the gorgeous morning walk to school

Central city street

Cute lunch spot in town

A "scopiero della fame" (hunger strike) occurring right by the Trevi

Notable Nuances

Sure, there are definite similarities between Italians and Americans (We both love food and vino; Lady Gaga and Bruno Mars have also made their way over here to dominate pop culture...and grocery store speakers), but the distinctions are what you obviously make note of when you're an "americana" transplanted from the US.  First of all, I don't think that I would ever receive an info sheet to fill in from an American professor that asked if I had ever spoken in public, then followed up with the question, "Were you sober?"  Yet, such was the case with a handout from my International Relations teacher here.  Yes, the drinking age is obviously lower in Italy, but there is this more relaxed dialogue taking place in the classrooms here from day one that is simply different.  I can't tell yet if it's a European thing, an Italian thing, or a professor-specific sort of thing so I will have to get back to you on that one.  All that I can say is that I look forward to learning more about these educational distinctions.  In addition, one of the most difficult things to adjust to here is the forward mannerism of Italian men.  I know that this may come off as a trivial commentary, but it is tough to enjoy dancing at a discoteca when a random guy is grabbing your wrist or pulling your hair.  While I am sure that most of my female friends could write an essay about the flaws of American boys, there is a definite increase in aggression here that warrants a heightened level of awareness and takes definite adjustment.  As a lady in the big city, you must always travel in a large group, maintain an air of confidence at all times, and ensure that your personal space is respected.  I am glad to be learning some street smarts on this awesome journey.

I will follow up soon with more detail on classes.  This semester will be rife with some incredible field studies; I am looking forward to the gorgeous architectural and artistic masterpieces for the course "Rome as a Living Museum" as well as the various urban landscapes we will journey to for "Culture and Urban Change in Contemporary Italy."  Coming up this weekend is our IES excursion to the Amalfi Coast, Pompeii and Capri...can't wait!

Ciao for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment