Sunday, September 4, 2011

The Highlight Reel

As I strolled along the jagged cobblestone streets with my suitemates on the way to the Trastevere neighborhood a few nights ago, sipping on a cup of "sangrita" (the Italian interpretation of sangria?  It tastes like a vino-flavored slushie), I took in the most beautiful view of our massive glittering city. Being abroad here has definitely reawakened my senses, sharpening and enhancing my ability to derive happiness from a sip of wine or a glance at the night sky.  Being so familiar with life at home, I doubt that I really took in more than 25 percent of what was going on around me at a time.  In contrast, life abroad inspires an engagement in the surrounding community and culture that maximizes one's understanding of and appreciation for all that is happening.  With this in mind, I thought I would provide you all with a few highlights from my first week here.  Hopefully, this will be a continuous theme on the blog as I continue to discover more in town, throughout Italy, and beyond to the other European countries I travel to!

Lago di Martignano

Mission: relaxation.  This was the message conveyed by Gianni, an IES staffer in charge of my icebreaker group.  We had just taken a charter bus about 45 minutes outside of Rome to the region of Lazio, then boarded a smaller, thinner bus that wound its way up a massive mountain to our final destination.  Atop that mountain lay a gorgeous expanse of pasture, a hilltop restaurant with a divine outdoor patio, and an absolutely breathtaking view of the volcanic lake Martignano that was ours for the exploring.  After we finished discussing our choice of Roma in the small icebreaker groups and analyzing the difference between the American schedules we so recently kept and the Italian schedules we will soon be keeping, we were free to enjoy the lake however we so chose.  We all snacked on pre-packaged sandwiches (Prosciutto and mozzarella? Check yes!) and then dove into the sparkling water.  The bottom of the lake was coated in sticky mud from the volcano which unfortunately had that jellyfish-like texture that forces you to tread water well beyond your capacity, but we can certainly use all of the aerobic exercise we can get out here (Pasta every day? I can check that off the list as well).  The rest of the day was spent paddleboating and lying in the sun, attempting to build that Italian glow I have come to desire so much every time I see a skinny, perfectly dressed Italian girl (every 5 seconds).  Not a bad way to start off an incredible semester!

Lago di Martignano

Suitemates by the lake

Lovely foliage by the pastures

A stampede of sheep crashing the party

Touristy Goodness

I am not going to lie, I am not above taking pictures of the clichéd touristy delights of Rome.  They are in those guidebooks for a reason, you know.  So while I hope to share some undiscovered gems in the future, I can provide you with some assurance that the highly revered spots are actually true prizes.  Earlier this week, our ISC took us out for a night out on the town where we slurped on delicious "grattachecca," a traditional Roman dessert akin to a more flavorful snow cone with fruit on top, and then wandered over to St. Peter's Basilica in Vatican City.  Police cars constantly whir around San Pietro to ward off potential trespassers and keep an eye on the holy site, one well worth protecting as you will agree after seeing the photo below.  We topped off our night alongside the glistening Tiber River, which is lined with bars and discos in the summer months that reel in visitors and locals alike by the dozen.

St. Peter's Basilica

Doing as the Romans do...slurping from fountains!
(Normal here, I promise.)

Mojito Très, a bar alongside the Tiber

Yesterday, my roommate Sara and I joined her family on Via Del Corso, one of Rome's trendiest and most well-renowned shopping streets, to peruse the shops for gifts for friends and family at home. There was an impressive mix of high-end and more moderately-priced boutiques, but I think I will save some gelato money for now and conveniently hit the via again when my parents are in town. We also wound our way to the Trevi fountain, the largest Baroque fountain in the city, that is unmatched in its regal splendor by any other water fixture in my humble opinion.  Of course, considering all of the trips still to be taken, I may be challenging this assertion quite soon.  I had a few spare centimes and was able to make a wish at the Trevi, a popular tradition, so we'll see where that one goes!  After some spaghetti alla carbonara (Doing things authentically has never felt this good!), our aching hammies and food coma begged for us to call it a day, but I think we have done pretty well for our first week!

A colonna on Via Del Corso

Trevi

Mid-wish!

Interesting street art 

Altare Della Patria in Piazza Venezia

Sweet Suite Cucina

We have devised a pretty genious system in the apartment where we cook dinner in pairs three nights of the week.  It sounds a bit silly, but I definitely feel a lot more grown up than I did in the states having our own kitchen to clean, organize, and cook in using what supplies we can scrounge up in Rome.  We are not short on the food by any stretch, but there are definitely some kitchen implements they are lacking over here.  So far, Megan and Kristen have whipped up a pasta with Amatriciana sauce (the Roman word for a bacon and tomato combo) which was served with bread and olive oil.  Last night, Kate and I made some delicious crepes with fillings including grilled chicken, pesto, prosciutto, feta, and some sweet toppers like bananas and Nutella.  We had a few neighborhood friends over who brought some sparkling wine and the most fantastic cannolis I have ever eaten.  We are definitely embracing our new living space and experimenting with what is offered in Roman markets.  A simple grocery run often brings unanticipated intrigue.  On Thursday, we met Paola, a lovely middle-aged Italian woman, in the checkout line of a nearby market.  She heard me speaking English and asked if we could meet with her at some point so she could speak English with us and teach us some Italian in exchange.  We are looking forward to her e-mail and the enriching chats over cappuccinos to come.  Without further ado, some foodie pics:

Megan improv-ing on a can opener alternative

Our first homemade meal

Crepe time!

The most delicious cannolis...ever!

A week of intensive Italian and academic advising awaits, interspersed with more excursions and some IES-led cooking classes.  Looking forward to updating soon.  

Arrivederci for now,
Alexi

No comments:

Post a Comment