Saturday, October 15, 2011

Small Triumphs

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." -Robert Brault

My first instincts upon getting to Roma were: Think BIG, Go BIG, Do BIG things.  I suppose that is how most people start out abroad.  You think, "Gosh, what if I don't make it to Northern France? What if I don't go to that rave that everyone and their sister is going to in that random European country where they play obscure techno music?  What will life come to?"  You want to check every country off the list, visit every tourist site that Rick Steves, Frommer's and Michelin ever recorded in their guide manuals, and you have that nagging feeling that if you aren't updating your travel journal on the daily and informing the world about your activities through social media, your trip is somehow made less significant.  Put simply, at the start, I had a superficial conception of what this experience would be like.

But, after just about six weeks here, I am starting to think that the little things are what really count on this journey.  Yes, I do still get flutters in my heart sometimes just thinking about this magnanimous eternal city.  But, I am more attuned to the fact that this isn't always some picture perfect wonderland.  For example, when we first arrived here, my suitemates and I descended upon Piazza Venezia like vultures for a photo snapping session like none another and we took about twenty snapshots in front of the Altare Della Patria, the monument to Vittorio Emanuele, thinking it was this glorious, revered landmark.  We only later realized that this statue is considered a huge eyesore by most Romans, a waste of space where the ancient remains of the Capitoline hill would be were they not destroyed to make way for the monument.  Learning the story about the "wedding cake," as the gaudy statue is often called, was one of the first signs that I was becoming an insider, not just some oblivious toursist.  This city is not a homogeneous haven for visitors either; it is a composite of affluent and disintegrating neighborhoods, of small oases of orderly planned space intermeshed with stretches of crowded, jumbled apartment buildings.  Now that I have a better handle on where I live and have peeled back the layers of touristy misconceptions, I have been able to better zone in on the details.  I enjoy finding the time to relish the small victories that each day brings.

So, without further ado, here are a few of my "small triumphs":

-Finally perfecting a carbonara recipe (well, it's at least a 7.5 on a 10 point scale so I am getting somewhere!) with the right proportions of pasta to eggs to pancetta.  Also, al dente!  Texture is so important and I never knew it before.  A bit of crunch transforms any pasta from blah to oh la la!

-Mustering up the courage (after six weeks, I admit) to use our spark igniter and light the gas stove. The tiniest feat, yet I was giving myself a big pat on the back for this one.  Sometimes you've just got to be brave and think of the final result (a yummy, homecooked meal) to help you conquer your fear (yes, lighting a flame is a large obstacle for me).

-Getting props from Susanna's friend Davide for my imitation of an overly zealous Roman party girl for my Italian oral exam.  I don't really know that I should be so excited about effectively acting like a crazy "sbronza" chick, but I have to say that I was so amused by the skit that the accent came pretty easily for this one.

-Finding a cluster of adorable cafés for aperitivi.  After my Italian final this past week, I did some café-hopping in the area with a few friends to de-stress.  We found Café Art, a striking and colorful coffee joint with a combination hipster/artsy vibe and great mocha mints, then slid over to a more old-fashioned café for an aperitivo including a drink, pizza circles and mini spanakopitas for under 5 euros.  Nice to have a few go-to spots to read or relax in after class!

-Learning how to make espresso (finally) from Susanna in Italian!  My ISC has decided that I am competent enough at the language to start speaking with her at home more regularly.  Lesson 1: how to make Italian caffé (aka straight espresso).  The tutorial was really fun, simple and incredibly useful because I often complain about my need for a caffeine IV throughout the day.

-Last, but not least, my eternal dork comes out.  Sara and I have finally found the Italian equivalent of Emory's Matheson reading room, the "Sala delle Capriate" in the library of Italy's House of Deputies. I know that this sounds completely nerdy, but total silence while studying when you're living in a small apartment with 7 girls (who I love!) can be utter bliss.

Yummy carbonara!

Aperitivo down the street from IES

Sala Capriate...c/o the Camera dei Deputati website

That's about all I have for now with midterms coming up.  We've luckily been able to steal away for a few dinners and nights out, despite the major study sessions.  I will try to post another update soon (hopefully before fall break travels ensue) and would love to hear from you as well.

Ci vediamo dopo,
Alexi

No comments:

Post a Comment